Wednesday 29 July 2009

Dangerous junction at the corner of Grotto Road & Thames Street




There is no pavement at the north side of Grotto Road at this junction which is regularly used by children walking to and from school at St James and St Georges and St Charles Borromeo primary schools, and visiting the corner shop.
Even with no parked cars, visibility is poor turning into the road from Thames Street, and pedestrians are regularly confronted with near misses there. It is only a matter of time before somebody is seriously injured or killed.

Parents at school drop off times seriously worsen the problem by parking all the way along the green at the corner of Grotto Road, right up to the junction, thereby making the road too narrow for traffic to navigate, let alone pedestrians.
They appear oblivious to the Highway Code and ignore the white lines that have been painted nearby to try and prevent parking on corners. To add insult to injury the recently introduced 20mph speed limit ends at the entrance into this road.
The corner needs a complete footpath, double yellow lines all along the green and opposite the shop, and strict enforcement of same.


I initially reported the problem to Surrey County Council on the website Fix My Street.com however I didn't receive any response. I then contacted our local Councillor Miles Macleod who has raised the problem at this junction with the council at previous Surrey County Council Meetings with little success.

My next step was to set up an online petition with Pledgebank.com to see whether other local residents agreed with me, and I was overwhelmed by the support that I received with very little publicity. I collected 69 signatures from local residents protesting about this junction and many expressed disappointment that this long standing problem has still not been resolved.

Having received so much support, I submitted a question to the Surrey County Council Committee in Elmbridge meeting on the 27th of July, focusing initially on the provision of double yellow lines at the junction, however their response was not very helpful. Their response to my supplementary question was a bit more positive, I will post both below with some photos.

4 comments:

  1. Well done. I agree we should have a pavement both sides and dbl yellow lines. In the meantime the Police - including the Neighbourhood team should be asked to strictly enforce the law regards 'no parking opposite or within 10m of a junction'.

    We also need extension of the 20mph zone to cover the whole residential area i.e. including Grotto Rod/Monument Road area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent to see this blog set up. I fully support your campaign, Barbara.

    The evidence of people signing up should make a real difference, and help get the improvements in junction safety that we are all pressing for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for finally writing about > "Dangerous junction at the corner of Grotto Road & Thames Street" < Loved it!
    http://is.gd/BzE5gm youtube subscribers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. I met with Mrs Margaret Hicks from Surrey County Council at the junction in question, and at the time she seemed very enthusiastic that yellow lines would finally be in place, but a recent update from St George's School doesn't mention our junction, just others nearer the school. :(

    I am just recovering from an operation, but once I feel better I will jump back on this bandwagon ..... Feel free to join me

    ReplyDelete